Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Growing Up Is Hard To Do

It's one of those things that everyone has to do. Physically you can't really stop it. The years just keep coming. And coming.

Mental growth however can tend to depend on the person. Forget for a moment the whole discussion about men and women and how different it is for the opposite sexes to mature. I'm talking about the one thing that everyone dislikes having to do. Be a grown up.

I know. Yuck.


I didn't want to either but if we are really true to ourselves then that's what we need to do. After all, no one can stay in Never Never Land forever.

I had an epiphany. Or as Oprah would like to call it an "Aha moment".


I have been sitting back letting everyone else make plans and run their own lives while I was watching. Like a bad reality TV show I got sucked in. I had forgotten ME. I was putting the happiness of others before myself, and I was okay with it! Crazy, right? All the time wondering why I too had not had this fortune. Single. No kids. Okay job but not a career. And I was okay with that?

NO!

Sometimes you've got to stop beating yourself up about what you don't have long enough to go get it yourself. The only thing that has been stopping me from getting what I want and more importantly what God has planned for me is myself. I keep getting in my own way. It's time I stopped thinking I'm not qualified enough, not smart enough, etc. I'm shutting down opportunities before they even begin. 

I know better. My momma didn't raise a fool. She raised a smart, independent, be all you can be, loving, one of a kind, kick ass woman. It's time I started living up to it and quit knocking myself over the head with all my "failures". 

I did it once when I took off to Wyoming. And I'm going to do it again. It's time I started making me happy and stopped focusing on everyone else's happiness. 

Step One: Research

Here I come...





No comments:

Post a Comment